Friday, September 17, 2010

So it begins...

Now that MIB is out of the hospital, the real work has begun.  And I almost wish I was back at work.  Hell, I'd be doing a lot less.

Women, let me tell you...if you have a child or if your child has to go to the hospital for any reason please take advantage of the nurses doing the work for you because you are going to WISH for them the minute you get your discharges papers.

Don't take this as I'm lazy or an inattentive mother.  I'd lay down and die for my child if it meant giving her the best of everything in life.  But I'd be a fool if I didn't admit to how hard it is to stay at home and take care of a sick child. 

MIB is going to be in her Spica cast for literally three months.  Six weeks for her first surgery, then she will have it taken off, have her second surgery and then have another Spica cast on for another six weeks. Now this cast weighs anywhere from 10 to15 pounds on top of her 38.2 pounds that she's carrying.  I do believe that I have gained a few pounds of muscles in my arms, lower back, and abs. 

Not only is she heavy with her Spica cast, but she is almost dead weight.  One of her legs is completely immobile and her other is partially immobile.  If I only had to move her occasionally it wouldn't be such a big deal.  But I have to move her in and out of the car seat, in and out of her wheelchair, in and out of the bed, down and up off of the couch, hold her up when she needs to have her clothes changed, when she needs to have her diaper changed,when she wants to be held...damn.  My arms are literally crying right now as I type this. 

Plus, while I was in the hospital, I wasn't able to get a lot of rest, but at least I was able to get some rest.  Last night I was up until 2 in the morning watching MIB because some of her medicine had her breathing really funny.  So instinctively I stayed up to monitor her, despite how dead tired I was.  And I had to turn around a few hours later to tend to her breakfast, diaper, and other needs. 

After that morning round was completed, I had to clean, run errands, do work from home, cook, shower, try (and fail miserably) to give her medicine, call the cable company, and worry about bills.  My day was literally non-stop.  And I am about 99% sure that it is going to be that way until she gets her second cast off. 

Right now it's almost 2 am (again) and now I'm up watching Rizzoli and Isles to keep me awake while I watch the muscle spasms in her leg.  She's having them because she won't take her Valium (which I don't blame her because that is nasty) and every 10 or 15 minutes her free leg kicks up and stiffens up in the middle of the air and I can't do anything about it because she won't taker her medicine...

I just got finished rubbing her leg down, calming her down, and rocking her back to sleep.  The spasms in her legs are getting worse and I'm feeling helpless and almost useless because I am unable to do anything for her.  This is why I wish I had a nursing team here at home with me.  Screw not getting any rest, I just need to make sure that my baby is ok.

Now let me get on the phone with the after hours urgent care line...

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...