Friday, November 23, 2012

Family Friday - Christmas Light Shows

From the MACC Fund website

I know that we JUST got finished eating turkey, but it's never too early to start looking at Christmas lights! 


I remember my parents taking me to see Christmas lights on the lakefront when I was kid and the excitement I had looking at the gorgeous decorations.  Even as an adult, I love to look at well done light shows and MIB loves them as well.  Earlier this evening I took her to the store with me and we passed up this bar that always decorates the outside right after Thanksgiving, along with the two houses next to it, and she almost had a stroke when she saw them.  So every year I take her past that corner to see the show, but this year I am going to take it one step further. 

In Milwaukee County, there are two great events that are geared towards amazing Christmas light shows: the Milwaukee Holiday Lights Festival and the Candy Cane Lane tour.  The Milwaukee Holiday Lights Festival is a six week tour of animated Christmas lights in the downtown area.  The tour, which started November 15th, covers three parks (Cathedral Square, Zeilder, and Pere Marquette) and takes place on a Coach USA bus that costs $1 (per person) for the 40 minute long ride.  One theme that makes it so interesting is the fact that dozens of schools throughout Milwaukee county decorates a tree in on of the parks on the tour and had a corresponding theme or wish for their school.  For more information visit the Milwaukee Holiday Lights Festival homepage.

Another great light show that also serves a great cause is the MACC Fund Candy Cane Lane tour in West Allis.  Beginning November 26th, dozens of West Allis residents will decorate their homes for children (and adults like me, because I stan for Christmas lights) to help raise money for cancer patients and research.  Technically the tour is free, but the MACC Fund does accept all monetary donations  and they will also have a raffle this year (a Cape Code playhouse donated by MSOE); $5 for one raffle ticket or you can get three for $10.  Visit the MACC Fund website for more information on this year's "Sharing Christmas" Candy Cane Lane tour.

I know that MIB will enjoy the show, I just hope that she doesn't stroke out from excitement in the back while taking the tour.  YCMs/YCFs: will you take your little ones to see light shows for Christmas?  

Times, cost, dates, and locations for: 
Milwaukee Holiday Lights Festival

  • November 15th - December 31st
  • Tuesdays - Thursdays from 6-9 p.m.
  • 40 minute tour for $1 per person
  • The Shops of Grand Avenue 
  • Call 414-220-4700 for more information
Candy Cane Lane "Sharing Christmas" lights tour 
  • November 26th - December 27th
  • Monday - Friday from 6-9 p.m. and Saturday - Sunday from 5-10 p.m.
  • West Allis, from Oklahoma to Montana Avenues and 92nd to 96th streets
  • The tour is free but all donations to the MACC fund are accepted at the corner of 95th and Manitoba
  • Between December 6th and 23rd children will be able to see Santa! 
  • Call 414-456-5830 for more information
Thursday's Thoughts questions can be submitted here!



3 comments:

  1. I didn't know coachUSA have buses in Milwaukee. I drive for that company here in Jersey.

    Anyway, I think that it's great that you are going to make it an event to introduce her to more light shows. Great way to make it into a charity. I hope the $1 their collecting is going towards whatever charity their donating to that day. I think kids today are wrapped up in the idea of presents and Santa during the holidays. You are helping her build childhood memories. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as the turkey is put away it's Christmas time! I remember my god father taking me on a ride to see the lights around Brooklyn, the neighborhood w the best lights were really hit hard by hurricane Sandy but I'm hoping we'll still get some good sites. Hope ur Thanksgiving was good

    ReplyDelete
  3. FV: yeah we have a few over here...it's great that they are doing that for a great cause. Every time we go somewhere I try to remember where the most festive blocks are because she literally loses her mind lol...and because I do work so much I want to make sure that she has a lot of these little memories of what we did and she'll hopefully pass it on to her child(ren). And all of the donations are going to the MACC fund for Cancer research...it's an important thing to me because my father died of cancer years ago and anything I can do to help the cause...I'm there.

    NYSOM: My Tgiving was iffy...me and my mom were sick so we didn't cook until yesterday lol...but like my mom said: it's not what we have it's the fact that we're together (we ate chicken lo mein on Tgiving lol)..And considering how Sandy showed her tail...I'm glad that you were all able to enjoy the holidays and I hope that you both enjoy Christmas and the New Year with more clean up and less chaos...best wishes to you both :)

    KMN

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...