Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Savings

I'm sure many of  y'all watched "Extreme Couponing" on TLC a few weeks ago (I think it's still in heavy rotation) and were amazed (just like me) by the savings and borderline mental illness shown in the show.  Well on my Sunday Savings, I want to describe to you how I did my own version of "extreme couponing" while not becoming a candidate for a mandatory 72.

Let me start by saying this: I am not an extreme couponer.  I do not wish to walk into my local grocery store and walk out of there paying $2.00 for $800 worth of food.  I do however, want to save on what I need to get for my family.  Half is good.  Hell in this economy a quarter off is good.  So in order to do that I have to cut my coupons.

Every Sunday I get two papers (from the grandmother and her grandson who hold 51st and Keefe down like clockwork) and then I come home, clip coupons, and organize them.  I did get a binder, pages covers, and business card holders to store my coupons in; just to keep them organized and at hand (because I have a bad habit of misplacing stuff).  I downloaded the table of contents from The Krazy Coupon Lady (which is quite smart) and got to work. 

So whenever I go shopping during the week I'll post what I bought, what I was supposed to have spent, what I saved, and what I had in coupons.  It'll by my personal public tally. 

Sentry Food Store:
  • 2 packs of Sargento String Cheese
  • 4 containers of Yoplait Greek Yogurt
  • Banquet Chicken Nuggets frozen dinner
  • 2 Westpac bags of frozen vegetables
  • 3 4-packs of Hunt's Snack Pack puddings
  • Bounce dryer sheets
  • 5 boxes of Scott's kleenex
Price before coupons: $25.85
Price after coupons: $16.45
Coupons total: $9.40

CVS
  • Airwick Warmer
  • Lysol Disinfectant Spray
  • Airwick Freshmatic starter kit
  • 2 Lysol  Complete Clean Toilet Bowl cleaners
  • Airwick refill twin pack
Price before coupons: $34.30
Price after coupons: $15.26
Coupons total: $ 8.49
Extra Care Bucks: $10.00

I then turned around and bought:
  • Scott Mega Roll paper towels, 10 pk
Price before coupons: $14.55
Price after coupons: $.56
Coupons total: $10.00

In total I spent and saved:

Actual price before coupons: $74.70
Amount after coupons: $32.27
Amount saved: $42.43
Savings of: 43%

Not bad. 

Maybe, if time permits, I'll do something a little more in depth and let you know of the best sales in Milwaukee and what coupons you need. But hell I'm having a hard enough time saving my own money.  We'll see how that goes...

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could cut my grocery bill down to $2!
    I just get excited when I have a coupon for Pull Ups AND they're on sale.

    Last week I paid $1.39 for a large package of pull ups that were on sale, I had a coupon for and a $10 voucher for the store that happened to be good only on that day.

    I was amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey MMS!

    I feel you on the Pull Ups, because those can be ridiculous. But I've found that CVS and Walgreens brand of pull up work pretty well and you can sometimes get them at a really nice price. Last week I went to Walgreen's and got a pack of Walgreens brand pull ups and a box of wipes for 6 bucks (the diapers were on sale for $6, the wipes were on sale for $2 and the wipes had a $2 off coupon for the diapers).
    I'm not brand loyal like that, so I don't mind trying something new to satisfy my needs at home and ease the strain on my pocketbook. That's the best thing for me, especially in between major sales.

    Hope you find solace in Pull Up coupons lol!

    KMN

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...