Monday, December 10, 2012

I like the benefits...

The title says it all.

I like some of the people that I work with.  My supervisor is so awesome, she totally has my back and understands all that I go through in my position because she used to be me 15 years ago (a temp for years before finally getting hired).  My boss is the best, he's allowed me time off and opportunities to work from home when my daughter or mother were extremely sick (as a temp).  And he's just cooler than a fan in the wintertime.

I like being able to travel with my job.  In the last two years I've been to the Chicago area and Pittsburgh and loved every minute of it.  I was supposed to go to the west coast a few months ago but because of issues at home, I wasn't able to.  But just having that opportunity is something that I like about my job.

My favorite "B" word is benefits.  I love 401(k)s, 403(b)s, health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, workman's comp, free flu shots at work, paid vacation time, paid sick days...if it's a benefit you are damn right I like it and I love it.

But my job?  Not so much. Even though I do different things everyday, they are the same five or six things everyday.  It's monotonous and so not exciting.  I used to teach and being able to experience something 100% different from yesterday is what I'm used to and is what I like about a job.  What I'm doing now, despite the traveling and occasional visiting employees or companies...I don't like what I do.

Benefits - 1.  Job - 0.

YCM/YCFs: do you like your job?

Submit questions for Thursday's Thoughts and YCM's Events here.

2 comments:

  1. Awww... that's kinda hard to go to a job and not love it. But I bet the benefits help some, huh?

    I actually love my job. It's fast-paced and no two days are alike. I really like that. I love the kids I work with (well, most of them anyway... LOL), and I'm all about our mission, which is to get our scholars to graduate from a 4-year college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alicia...

    That is what I miss about teaching...the pace, the change, the differences...oh I loved it. Breaking up a fight, drying tears, joking with the kids, getting them interested in dancehall music, telling them that yes your ancestors ARE from West Africa...~sigh~ it was a beautiful thing.

    But my time was up in the school system...at least in front of the classroom (but I do admit I miss it)...

    And me not loving my job? That's why it's a job and not a career lol...

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    KMN

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...