Monday, December 3, 2012

That's a really good question...

What am I a pro at?
I've battled with myself about this question for ages.  I've always been the type of person to know a little bit about everything and a whole lot about nothing.  Not sure if that's good or bad though.

I majored in African/African American studies on a whim.  And I'm really well versed in it, but I stopped short of going towards my master's and PhD in the subject (which I should still do...but I don't have the time or the money for it now).  I did use my degree towards my education career I had a few years ago...but eventually I grew to no longer love teaching (the politics, crazy parents, lack of parents, etc.).

I worked as a banker for several years.  I was a teller supervisor at one bank, worked as a personal banker, and did some time as a collector for loans.  That wasn't bad and I learned a lot from those experiences and was able to use that knowledge to help others in my family when they had checking account questions or wanted to know more information about getting a car loan.  I actually liked working in a banking position but the pay wasn't great and I was focused on my education and teaching.

I currently work in accounting right now and am heavily involved with freight and invoicing.  And I've become somewhat of a master at that (since I'm really the only one or one of few that actually does those things).  But there are so many more things about accounting I'd like to learn.  And I could...but I'm not even sure that I'm happy there (aka - I'm not happy there lol).  It pays fairly well, the benefits are hot, and there is a lot of flexibility in my hours but...meh.

I've been a mother for four and a half years now.  And I never thought I'd be a mother and I never wanted to be a mother.  But here I am and I think that I'm doing pretty damn good.  I learned patience, compassion, sympathy, fairness, dictatorship, democracy, and love that I never though I had.  Am I a pro at parenting?  Hell no.  Why?  Because I'm learning everyday something new about being a parent.

I said all that to say this: I think that I am a pro at: learning.  Even though I might not be a true expert at one thing, I have enough sense (common and book) to learn and adapt to the situations that I'm in to make them work for me, my family and my employment situation.

YCMs/YCFs: what are you a pro at?

Don't forget Thursday's Thoughts...email your questions to me here.

2 comments:

  1. I think you sound like a well rounded person and maybe you are a pro at being good at a little bit of everything!!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As parents, especially a single parent, you have to be good at a little bit of everything because MIBs want to ask questions about a little bit of everything lmao...

      KMN

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...